I didn’t spend a huge amount of time with the beta, but I got enough time in to form some opinions. In general, I liked it. It’s more Destiny and that is ultimately what I want, but I do have some quibbles.
- The story mission was fantastic. It was paced well and having NPCs actually join you in the fight made the work feel much more alive.
- The game looks gorgeous, with a big improvement in the graphics over Destiny 1.
- The stirke was one of the best we’ve seen, with varied environments, and an interesting three stage boss.
- Slowing time to kill in PVP is great, increasing the thought required in combat and putting the focus on skill with shooting.
- I like the new player skills, like he Titan Wall. They add more variety without being overpowered.
- I’m not sold on the changes to load out. It feels like it decreases the variety, and some of the power weapons feel weak. Although there was a certain charm to rocking two hand cannons and hot swapping when you ran dry.
- Skills and supers don’t recharge fast enough! I grant they need to be slowed down from the ability spam that we saw in D1, but I think they have gone too far.
- Guns feel a little weak in PVP, with the strike boss especially taking a long time to burn down if you picked the wrong load out.